Petestack Blog

13 January 2019

More bits and pieces

Filed under: Sailing — admin @ 5:42 pm

While Fly work’s obviously no longer progressing at late December/early January pace now I’m back at ‘work work’ for the new school term, it’s no way grinding to a halt either with various bits and pieces on and off the boat still getting evening and weekend attention…

The battery box(es) actually went back in on 2 January, but I’ve just caught up with the photography today. It was a surprise to discover expensive, striped, cabin sole plywood when I stripped the paint from the lid back in August (?), but I’m guessing it got used as the piece needing to be cut from the original sole there anyway:

Other ongoing projects from the first week of January that you don’t see here include stripping the pilot berth structures of flaking paint (something I’m only doing outside when I’ve got both daylight and mild, dry conditions) and engine alignment (done by Twig). But I’ve got some work done on the tiller (which we’d removed to get the engine through the pushpit) this weekend, making a wee repair where the exposed end grain was suffering. Think I might finish that by epoxy-coating where I’ve chamfered the corners and a bit down the sides, but not till I’ve got some mixed up for another job:

The restored/improved chart table is all done apart from some new catches to hold it shut and a folding leg for the non-bulkhead end. While I was tempted by sprung ball catches, I’m going to fit magnetic ones because the dimensions suit better and and they’ll be much easier to fit. It used to have two horrid wee hooks on the outside, but I’m fitting catches to the inside front edge (there’s plenty of room for the charts):

Here it is in the stowed/upright position. The teak handle (which I found in a box of bits stashed in my loft) replaces an ugly alloy one. There’s also a cushion to go back where you see the slightly lighter wood and two screw holes:

And here it is as you’d use it (well, not on the floor!). The fiddles (edges) to stop things sliding off are new; it doesn’t need one to the right because there’s a bulkhead there, and the left ones have been left partial to fold up over the nav. station shelves:

Finally (for now), I’ve been fairing the surface ‘craters’ (mostly legacy of the 1999–2000 keel repair) in forecabin and heads prior to sticking down some new Treadmaster. The first pass has been sanded and I’ve done a second where necessary, but can’t sand that till Monday or Tuesday evening:

1 Comment »

  1. Not fitting the magnetic catches I bought off eBay for the chart table! They’re incredibly crudely made, with only one out of four (I bought four because that was hardly any more expensive than two) even acceptably put together. No great loss when it’s less hassle to just write them off than return them at £3.88 for four, but need to find something else now…

    Comment by admin — 21 January 2019 @ 5:16 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

(First-time commenters please understand that your comment may apparently disappear or only be visible to you till approved by admin.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Blog powered by WordPress. Feedback to webmaster@petestack.com.