Petestack Blog

15 April 2018

Galley slaves

Filed under: Sailing — admin @ 8:12 pm

Two weeks of Easter Holiday gone (work tomorrow!) and most of it spent on Fly (some with Twig and some without), so where are we now?

The bow well repairs are complete (Twig’s work) and the forecabin hull surfaces are fully stripped and epoxy-coated (mine). The forecabin and main bulkhead facings are stripped for revarnishing (my doing), and the top and outer edges of the former have also been properly filleted to the hull (Twig’s) as done with the main bulkhead facing back in October. The last remaining areas of under-bunk and bulkhead coating at the aft end of the main cabin are done (Twig’s work), with the heads compartment ready for repainting and deckhead in there clear of old liner glue (mine, noting that the central section of forecabin deckhead is still to do). But perhaps most exciting of all in terms of seeing the boat coming back together is the galley rebuilding work done on Friday and today…

With damaged Formica peeling from the galley bulkheads and some other components suffering, we’d long thought we might have to rebuild the galley from scratch. But closer inspection last week suggested we could (very usefully!) retain the two bulkheads and locker front while replacing the old shelves, dividers and sink-surrounding top. So the next three photos here show Friday’s Formica replacement job, noting that the tired, warped top with cutouts you see in the first is also due for replacement and just retained as a temporary shaping piece for now:

And so to today, with a careful dry galley-refitting job followed by a more rapid repeat with epoxy on some crucial surfaces. The new shelves aren’t fixed yet and the blocks/wood strips etc. supporting things are just temporary, but the two bulkheads and locker front are now stuck in place. You can also see one of the Formica faces we did on Friday (the other is the reverse side of the near bulkhead), along with areas where I thought to strip back the varnish in what would become awkward corners before permanent refitting made them so:

Still a long way from launching, but what a long way we’ve come since Fly’s darkest days and I’m starting to smell the sea and the wind again! :-)

9 April 2018

Easter Fly

Filed under: Sailing — admin @ 9:34 pm

It wasn’t a great winter for Fly. Consistently cold temperatures, flu and other things contributed to losing most of December, January, February and March, so we find ourselves coming into spring well behind a logical projected schedule from the summer and autumn. But some limited work was achieved in February, and enough’s been happening again since Easter to discuss another collection of photos here.

The first six are from February showing the underside of the bow well (from which yet more port-side wood was removed this week to reach solid laminate above), opened-up bow void and fully-coated water tank:

Next we have two from last week showing Twig’s internal bow well repairs complete and one of the companionway bulkhead facing’s back getting epoxy-coated on my workshop floor (at which point I must observe that Fly’s restoration here would likely have proved anything from significantly more difficult to impossible without the 2016–17 creation of said workshop!):

The next three show the forecabin paint stripping as complete as reasonably possible. I had just awkward corners left from the autumn, but these can be as much effort (requiring yet more care to take as much paint and little laminate as possible) as more substantial flatter areas and there’s a definite ‘leave well alone’ stage protecting both laminate and those last, most solid, deeply recessed specks of paint. There’s still old glue to remove from the deckhead before that can be relined, but (unlike the hull sides) any paint left up there can stay:

And finally seven where Twig’s coated the external bow well floor (the bow tarpaulin came off for good today!) and I’ve done the forecabin surfaces. You might not see the shine in every photo, but should catch the limited pigment confirming they’re not just more of the stripped surfaces. Most of this will be covered by cabin linings, but the bottom sections won’t. I now have what seems like acres of white-painted and varnished surfaces (both fixed and movable) to sand and refinish, and we have a galley to rebuild with some original parts and some new over the new main cabin starboard bunk top:

Blog powered by WordPress. Feedback to webmaster@petestack.com.